On May 14, 2013, three Peninsula Regional Medical Center employees competed in a National Nutrition Month Cook-Off to create the best nutritious, inexpensive meal for a family of four.
Congratulations to Amy Bishop of the Education Department, whose Angel Hair Shrimp and Spinach wowed the celebrity judges (David Wharton of Cakes by David, WMDT anchor Jemie Lee and Daily Times food columnist Tracy Sahler). The runner-up was Andrea Olson, a Diabetes nutritionist, with her Veggie Burrito, and in third place was Denis Holmer, a cook with the Food & Nutrition Department. These tasty dishes may make an appearance at the PRMC Employee Cafe!
Angel Hair Shrimp and Spinach
Angel Hair pasta, 1 lb
Shrimps, 1.5 lb
Baby Spinach, 1 bag
Half and Half, ½ c
Butter, ¼ c
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Garlic, 4 cloves-minced or sliced
1. Cover bottom of skillet with olive oil and add butter.
2. Sauté shrimp until slightly pink.
3. Add garlic and stock.
4. Toss in spinach and cover with lid until spinach wilts.
5. Sprinkle liberally with sea salt and pepper; add cream and turn off heat.
6. Boil noodles and drain.
7. In a large pasta bowl, add pasta; sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and olive oil.
8. When ready to serve, add shrimp contents and freshly grated parmesan cheese, toss and serve immediately.