Cancer Exercise Program
The Cancer Exercise Program at Peninsula Regional Medical Center is conducted in the Cardiovascular/Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Preventive Cardiology Department. Participants are under the supervision of an exercise physiologist specifically certified in cancer exercise rehabilitation, through the American College of Sports Medicine.
The goal of the program is to provide a safe and effective exercise program for cancer patients currently receiving treatment or for cancer survivors.
Summary of Potential Benefits
• Reduction in levels of fatigue
• Enhancement of body image
• Maintenance of body weight
• Maintenance of strength, endurance, and level of function
• Improvement in mood
• Reduction of severe side effects
• Improvement in quality of life
• Reduction in muscle weakness and maintenance of bone mass density
• Improvement in flexibility, particularly for surgical patients
• Benefits have been seen in patients exercising as little as 10 minutes every other day.
Cancer patients who do not exercise train have shown greater than a 25% decline in functional
ability in eight weeks.
• Fitness assessment (one hour session) which includes a submaximal
exercise test, body composition, flexibility, muscular strength and endurance,
and BMI (body mass index)
• Development of an individualized exercise prescription by an exercise physiologist
• Individualized exercise program medically supervised by a certified cancer exercise specialist
The cost of the program is $200. The fee includes the one hour fitness assessment, an individualized exercise program and exercise prescription, and three one hour medically supervised individual exercise sessions.
The fitness assessments and individual exercise sessions will be conducted over a four week time period as long as treatment schedule permits.
Maintenance of Exercise Program
At the end of the four week program, the participant has the option of continuing individual exercise sessions or joining the Phase IV Adult Fitness exercise program. The cost of the medically supervised Adult Fitness program is $60 per month. The program includes blood pressure, oxygen saturation, and heart rate and rhythm monitoring, as well as group exercise and weight training instructions.
For more information, call 410-543-7026.