Cancer Risk Assessment and Genetic Counseling Service
The Richard A. Henson Cancer Institute has added a Cancer Risk Assessment and Genetic Counseling Service provided by the Prevention and Research Center of Mercy Medical Center in cooperation with Peninsula Regional Medical Center.
In-person consultation will be provided at the Richard A. Henson Cancer Institute by an experienced member of the genetics counseling staff at Mercy Medical Center, under the direction of Kathy J. Helzlsouer, MD, MHS, medical oncologist and nationally recognized clinical epidemiologist.
Patients and individuals may benefit from this new risk assessment and genetic counseling if any one of the following apply:
- They have a close relative with the same or related cancer, especially if cancer occurred before the age of 50
- They have had more than one type of cancer
- They are of Eastern European Jewish ancestry with a family history of cancer
- They have a family history of any rare cancer
- They have a relative who is known to have a genetic mutation that can increase the risk of cancer
- They are considering chemoprevention for cancer based on family history or other risk factors (for example, atypical hyperplasia of the breast)
For more information or to schedule an appointment for genetic counseling, please call 1-866-9-CANCER (866-922-6237). No referral is necessary.